Fullscreen Close
David Kinna's Family Research
Elia Hershkovich Goldenberg
1774 - 1840
1795 - ?
Daniel Eliovitch
1817 - ?
1818 - c.1856
1st marriage
? - ?
2nd marriage
1836 - 1914
1838 - ?
1840 - 1899
1832 - 1842
1851 - ?
Joseph Rabinowitz
1837 - 1899
Vladimir Rabinowitz
1855 - 1913

Sophy Rabinowitz
1857 - ?

Rebecca Rabinowitz
1868 - 1914
Rachel Rabinowitz
1869 - 1937

Tikva Rabinowitz
1870 - 1872
David (Vanya) Rabinowitz
1874 after 1937

Peter (Nathen) Rabinowitz
1876 - 1942


Olga (Golda) Danilovna Rabinovich

Her story told by her Great-granddaughter Maria.

What do I know about my great-grandmother? Almost nothing. She was in the shadow of her famous husband, and all mentions of her are related only to him. The main thing in her life was family, children, and home. For the sake of her family, she took the courageous step of abandoning the faith in which she had been raised, following her husband and children and being baptised. It is safe to say that her life was a success. She lived 77 years, was surrounded by a friendly loving family, and had prosperity and well-being at home.

Golda was born in 1836 in Orhei, a county town owned by the landowner Princess Elena Hangierli. From the revision lists can be reconstructed the names and dates of life of her grandfather Elia Hershkovich Goldenberg (or Goldenbark) (1774-1840) and grandmother Bailey (born 1795), as well as parents, father, Daniel Eliovitch (born 1817), and mother, Sura (1818 - between 1854 and 1859).

Daniel and Sura were only 19 and 18 years old when their daughter Golda was born to them. The family grew rapidly: Nehama was born in 1838, Rehma in 1840, a long-awaited son El (died at age ten) in 1842, and Bryana in 1851. At the age of about forty Sura died, and Daniel married the thirty-five-year-old Hava.

Golda did not have to live with her stepmother; she was already married. In July 1853 she was betrothed to Joseph Rabinowitz, who was a year older than she was. They may have known each other, but the matchmaking was a matter for the parents, and it is unlikely that the feelings of the children were taken into account. In December 1854 they were married. According to tradition, Joseph moved in with the Goldenbergs. For the first year and a half of their life together, Golda and Joseph lived with her parents. Given the young age of the newly weds, this was quite reasonable. Joseph was a bookish man, and after marriage his circle of interests did not change. And Golda's main occupation was children. She gave birth to seven. The first, Haim-Volke, was born September 13 (25), 1855, Sarah in 1857, Rebecca in 1868, Rachel in 1869, Rachel in 1870. - Tikva, in 1874 - David, and in 1876 - Nathan.

In 1856 Joseph and Golda separated from their parents. As a dowry Joseph received 800 silver rubles, with the help of his father-in-law opened a small shop in Orhei and rented a house for the family. But three years later misfortune befell the young family. A fire broke out in the city and everything burnt down - the shop, the house, and the books. The family with two young children was left without a livelihood. "The next ten years," Joseph wrote in his autobiography, "were filled with bitter suffering and anxiety." If we look at the birth dates of the children, we can see that there was no addition to the family during these years. Rebecca was born eleven years after Sarah's, and over the next eight years Golda gave birth to five more. To earn a living, Joseph began to study Russian law diligently. After a while he was able to give legal advice to the residents of Orhei, most of whom spoke only Yiddish. Life gradually got better. In 1866 Joseph opened a wholesale tea and sugar business throughout Orgeev County.

In November 1871 the Rabinovich family moved to Chisinau. Arrangement in the new place was marred by family tragedy. A cholera epidemic, which broke out in 1872, took the life of the youngest daughter, two-year-old Tikva. The family moved into the new house, built in 1873, without her.

After Joseph's return from Palestine in 1882, it was a difficult time for Golda. Raised in an Orthodox Jewish family, she could not agree with her husband's new ideas, but she could not argue with him either. When Joseph was baptised, Golda wept bitterly that such a learned and respected man among the Jews bowed his knees to the despised Jesus of Nazareth. She felt deeply for the children who followed their father and were baptised. Finally in 1891 this important event for the whole family took place - Golda was baptised and received the new name "Olga". After Rachel returned from Edinburgh in October 1891, she and her father and mother journed to Budapest, Rachel was to stay there until Christmas, and It was here that Golder was baptised. On October 5th 1891, Joseph sent a telegram from Budapest to Chisinau to the children. It contained only two words in Yiddish, "Mama gerettet" (mother saved).

Samuel Wilkinson, who stayed with the Rabinowitzes during his visit to Kishinev, testifies to the atmosphere in their home. He writes of the hospitality of the hosts, of the evenings spent with the family. There was a wife and three daughters at home, singing English hymns in the evenings, Samuel playing the piano, and Joseph on the violin.

After her husband died, Olga Danilovna was left to live with her daughters in the old house. With the loss of the breadwinner, there was nothing to live on. Only her eldest son Vladimir, who worked on the railroad, had a steady income. But he lived in another city and had a family of his own. Younger sons Ivan and Peter were students and needed help themselves. Support came from Joseph's foreign friends and associates. The Mildmay Mission newspaper published a report on the plight of the Rabinowitz family and an appeal to wealthy people to help the widow and children.

Somerville Hall
Somerville Hall remained owned by the family, but it was built with money borrowed from Joseph's Scottish friends.

In 1903, The debt had expired, but was not claimed by the creditors. There was discussion about Mildmay Mission renting the building to use as a house of worship. The lease would have been a help to the family and a joy that Joseph's cause was continuing. But it didn't work out. It took another 11 years until Joseph Rabinowitz's property was deemed free and clear of liens by the courts.


In April 1903, all the Jewish families of Kishinev experienced terrible days. On April 19, the first day of Passover, the pogrom began. Shouting "Christ is Risen Again," pogromists burst into the homes of Jews, smashing and looting their shops, beating men and women, and throwing children out of windows.

The pogrom was provoked by the publications of P. A. Krushevan about the brutal murder of fourteen-year-old Mikhail Rybachenko, allegedly committed by Jews for ritual purposes. The murder was described in horrifying detail, which aroused the desire for revenge.

Kishinev 1903 (u)
All the more so because the only daily newspaper in Chisinau, Bessarabets, had been waging an anti-Semitic campaign long before the pogrom. As it turned out, the boy had been murdered by his relatives, but the Ministry of Internal Affairs forbade the publication of materials about the case, and the slander was not publicly refuted. The police did not intervene. In two terrible days, 47 people were killed, 92 were seriously wounded, 700 houses were destroyed, 600 stores were looted, and 2,000 families were devastated.

The Rabinowitz family was unharmed, but frightened. A few days after the pogrom, S. H. Wilkinson arrived in Kishinev with P. Wolf (a missionary living in Odessa, financed by Sweden) and brought money to help the victims of the pogrom. A small amount was given to the family. Sweden) and brought money to help the victims of the pogrom. A small amount was given to the family.

The Will

In July 1908 Olga Danilovna drew up a will. She owned at that time one seventh of the immovable property which she had inherited from her husband. According to the will, part of the house and the money left after her funeral were to be divided equally among her children. Wherever she died, she wanted to be buried according to Christian rites in Kishinev in a crypt next to her husband and the inscription "if I go and through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, because You are with me, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Amen."

In the extract from the deed book of Kishinev notary P.P. Zalevsky who made out this will, one phrase was unexpected for me - "this will at the personal request of illiterate Olga Rabinovich was signed in our presence by a nobleman G.M. Benkevich". Was Olga really illiterate? It is known that she sent telegrams, received postcards from her children. An invitation to the wedding of Peter and Glafira, written on her behalf, was preserved. Of course, telegrams and invitations, as well as the will, she could dictate, and postcards were read to her.

An extract from the notary's deed book leaves no doubt that Olga was indeed illiterate, especially since none of her autographs have survived. However, the surprise does not leave me. Olga did not grow up in a poor family, her husband Joseph was a man of letters and valued education. Did neither her father nor her husband care enough to help her acquire basic literacy?

The last years of her life Olga Danilovna lived together with her daughters, unmarried Rebecca and Rachel, who returned to Chisinau after the birth of her son Andew. Of great concern was the deteriorating health of her eldest son. His early death hastened his mother's passing. Olga Danilovna died on December 13, 1913 and was buried next to her husband.


Olga (Golda) Danilovna Rabinovich

История Марии Зезиной

Что я знаю о своей прабабушке? Почти ничего. Она была в тени своего знаменитого мужа, и все упоминания о ней связаны только с ним. Главным в ее жизни была семья, дети, дом. Ради семьи она совершила мужественный шаг, отказавшись от веры, в которой была воспитана, последовала за мужем и детьми и крестилась. С уверенностью можно утверждать, что ее жизнь удалась. Она прожила 77 лет, была окружена дружной любящей семьей, имела достаток и благополучие в доме.

Голда родилась в 1836 г. в уездном городке Оргееве, принадлежащем помещице княгине Елене Ханжерли. По ревизским сказкам можно восстановить имена и даты жизни ее деда Эльи Гершковича Гольденберга (или Гольденбарка) (1774-1840) и бабушки Бейли (1795 г.р.), а также родителей, отца, Даниила Элиовича (1817 г.р.), и матери, Суры (1818 - между 1854 и 1859).

Даниилу и Суре было всего 19 и 18 лет, когда у них родилась дочь Голда. Семья быстро росла: в 1838 г. родилась Нехама, в 1840 Рехма, в 1842 долгожданный сын Эль (умер в десятилетнем возрасте), в 1851 Бряна. В возрасте около сорока лет Сура умерла, и Даниил женился на тридцатипятилетней Хаве.

Голде не пришлось жить с мачехой, она уже была замужем. В июле 1853 г. ее обручили с Иосифом Рабиновичем, который был старше ее на год. Возможно, они были знакомы, но сватовство было делом родителей, и вряд ли в расчет принимались чувства детей. В декабре 1854 г. сыграли свадьбу. Согласно традиции Иосиф переехал к Гольденбергам. Первые полтора года совместной жизни Голда и Иосиф жили с ее родителями. Учитывая юный возраст молодоженов было, это было вполне разумно. Иосиф был книжным человеком, и после женитьбы круг его интересов не изменился. А главным занятием Голды стали дети. Она родила семерых. Первенец, Хаим-Вольке, родился 13 (25) сентября 1855 г., в 1857 г. - Сара, в 1868 - Ребекка, в 1869 г. - Рахиль, в 1870 г. - Тиква, в 1874 г. - Давид и в 1876 - Натан.

В 1856 г. Иосиф и Голда отделились от родителей. В качестве приданного Иосиф получил 800 серебряных рублей, с помощью тестя открыл в Оргееве небольшую торговую лавку и снял для семьи дом. Но через три года молодую семью постигло несчастье. В городе вспыхнул пожар, сгорело все - лавка, дом, книги. Семья с двумя малолетними детьми осталась без средств к существованию. «Последующие десять лет, - писал Иосиф в автобиографии, - были наполнены горьким страданием и беспокойством». Если посмотреть на даты рождения детей, то видно, что в эти годы прибавления в семействе не было. Ребекка родилась через 11 лет после рождения Сары, а за следующие восемь лет Голда родила еще пятерых. Чтобы заработать на жизнь Иосиф стал усиленно изучать российское законодательство. Через некоторое время он смог давать юридические консультации жителям Оргеева, большинство из которых говорило только на идише. Жизнь постепенно налаживалась. В 1866 г. Иосиф открыл предприятие по оптовой торговле чаем и сахаром по всему Оргеевскому уезду.

В ноябре 1871 года семья Рабиновичей переехала в Кишинёв. Устройство на новом месте было омрачено семейной трагедией. Эпидемия холеры, вспыхнувшая в 1872 г., унесла жизнь младшей дочери, двухлетней Тиквы. В новый дом, построенный в 1873 г., семья переезжала без нее.

После возвращения Иосифа из Палестины в 1882 г. для Голды настало непростое время. Воспитанная в правоверной иудейской семье она не могла согласиться с новыми идеями мужа, но и не могла спорить с ним. Когда Иосиф крестился Голда горько плакала, что такой ученый и уважаемый среди евреев человек склонил колени перед презираемым Иисусом из Назарета. Она глубоко переживала за детей, последовавших за отцом и принявших крещение. Наконец в 1891 г. состоялось это важное для всей семьи событие - Голда крестилась и получила новое имя «Ольга». Это произошло в Будапеште, куда они с Иосифом поехали чтобы повидаться с Рашелью. Дочь после возвращения из Школы Диаконесс была направлена на год в Будапешт. Родители хотели посмотреть, как Рашель устроилась на новом месте, но главной целью было крещение матери. 5 октября 1891 г. Иосиф отправил из Будапешта в Кишинев телеграмму детям. В ней было только два слова на идише - «Mama gerettet» (мама спасена).

Об атмосфере в доме Рабиновичей свидетельствует Самюэль Вилкинсон, который останавливался у них во время приезда в Кишинев. Он пишет о гостеприимстве хозяев, о вечерах, проведенных с семьей. Дома была жена и три дочери, вечерами пели английские гимны, Сэмюэль играл на пианино, Иосиф на скрипке.

После смерти мужа Ольга Даниловна осталась жить с старом доме с дочерьми. С потерей кормильца жить было не на что. Постоянный доход имел только старший сын Владимир, работавший на железной дороге. Но он жил в другом городе, и у него была своя семья. Младшие сыновья Иван и Петр были студентами и сами нуждались в помощи. Поддержка приходила от зарубежных друзей и соратников Иосифа. В газете миссии Милдмей было опубликовано сообщение о бедственном положении семьи Рабиновича и призыв к состоятельным людям помочь вдове и детям.

Somerville Hall
Сомервилл холл оставался в собственности семьи, но он был построен на деньги, полученные в кредит от шотландских друзей Иосифа. В 1903 г. срок погашения долга истек, но он не был востребован кредиторами.Обсуждался вопрос о том, что Майлдмэй Миссия арендует здание для того, чтобы использовать его как молитвенный дом. Аренда была бы помощью семье и радостью, что дело Иосифа продолжается. Но это не получилось.Прошло еще 11 лет пока по суду имущество Иосифа Рабиновича было признано свободным от залога.


В апреле 1903 г. все еврейские семьи Кишинева пережили страшные дни. 19 апреля, в первый день Пасхи, начался погром. С криками «Христос воскресе» погромщики врывались в дома евреев, громили и грабили их лавки, избивали мужчин и женщин, выбрасывали детей из окон. Погром был спровоцирован публикациями П.А. Крушевана о зверском убийстве четырнадцатилетнего Михаила Рыбаченко, совершенным якобы евреями в ритуальных целях. Убийство было описано в ужасающих подробностях, которые возбуждали желание мстить. Тем более, что единственная ежедневная газета в Кишиневе «Бессарабец» еще задолго до погрома вела антисемитскую кампанию.

Kishinev 1903 (u)
Как оказалось, мальчик был убит родственниками, но Министерство внутренних дел запретило публиковать материалы об этом деле, и клевета не

была публично опровергнута. Полиция не вмешивалась. За два страшных дня было убито 47 человек, 92 тяжело ранено, 700 домов были разрушены, 600 магазинов разграблены, 2000 семей разорены.

Семья Рабиновичей не пострадала, но была напугана. Через несколько дней после погрома в Кишинев приехали С.Х. Вилкинсон с П. Вольфом (миссионер, живущий в Одессе, финансируемый Швецией) и привезли деньги в помощь жертвам погрома. Небольшая сумма была передана семье.


В июле 1908 г. Ольга Даниловна составила завещание. В ее собственности в это время была одна седьмая часть недвижимого имущества, доставшегося по наследству от мужа. По завещанию часть дома и деньги, оставшиеся после ее похорон, должны быть поделены поровну между ее детьми. Где бы она ни скончалась, она хотела, чтобы ее похоронили по христианскому обряду в Кишиневе в склепе рядом с мужем и сделали надпись «если я пойду и долиной смертной тени не убоюсь зла, потому что Ты со мной, Твой жезл и Твой посох, они успокаивают меня. Аминь».

В выписке из актовой книги Кишиневского нотариуса П.П. Залевского, оформлявшего это завещание, одна фраза была для меня неожиданной - «завещание это по личной просьбе неграмотной Ольги Рабинович подписано в нашем присутствии дворянином Г-Л.М. Бенькевичем». Неужели Ольга была неграмотной? Известно, что она посылала телеграммы, получала открытки от детей. Сохранилось приглашение на свадьбу Петра и Глафиры, написанное от ее имени. Конечно, телеграммы и приглашения, как и завещание она могла продиктовать, а открытки ей читали.

Выписка из актовой книги нотариуса не оставляет сомнений в том, что Ольга действительно была неграмотной, тем более, что ни одного ее автографа не сохранилось. Однако удивление меня не покидает. Ольга выросла в не бедной семье, ее муж Иосиф был книжным человеком, высоко ценил образование. Неужели ни отец, ни муж ни позаботились о том, чтобы помочь ей овладеть элементарной грамотностью?

Последние годы жизни Ольга Даниловна жила вместе с дочерьми, незамужней Ребеккой и Рашель, которая после рождения сына Андрея вернулась в Кишинев. Большое беспокойство вызывало ухудшающее здоровье старшего сына. Его ранняя смерть ускорила уход их жизни матери. Ольга Даниловна скончалась 13 декабря 1913 г. и была похоронена рядом с мужем.